Should you take out blackjack insurance against the dealer? 5 misconceptions

blackjack player

You should know that it is one of the most profitable casino games. In order to become a real champion of the famous game, we advise you to master the different strategies to win the jackpot. One of the things you can do is to take out blackjack insurance.

In the middle of a game, you can take out insurance. But what is blackjack insurance?

The term “blackjack insurance” refers to a pay option that allows the player to be immune in the event of a win by the dealer, especially in the case of an ace-jack hand, which is the strongest hand. This option does pay off, however, in that the player will have to invest half of their initial bet to take out the blackjack insurance bet.

This feature of the table game is present in the ‘free online blackjack’ games, but also in most of the best online casinos. In fact, if you’re not sure you have what it takes to play “blackjack insurance”, we recommend that you learn the blackjack rules and play free online blackjack through the fun or demo mode of an online gambling site.

To know how blackjack insurance works, analyze & understand the rules

blackjack online

The player should not take out blackjack insurance at any time. The player should only use this option when there is a danger, for example when the dealer draws a Jack or an Ace.

To signal to the dealer that he chooses to take insurance, the player must pay the bank half his bet. Insurance therefore has a relatively high cost.

As soon as the dealer makes a blackjack, the player loses his initial bet, but the value of his insurance is immediately refunded. In the end, the player wins nothing but loses nothing either.

If the dealer fails to make 21 and the player wins the game, the player loses the amount invested in the insurance, but wins the original bet.

When the dealer again fails to make a blackjack and the player loses the hand, the player loses the insurance and the bet. This is the worst case scenario, as the player loses everything they put on the blackjack table.

A few more explanations on blackjack insurance to help you adjust your strategy

blackjack dealer

Insurance is a protection against an opponent’s Blackjack. But be aware that the Dealer, even if he is in possession of an Ace or Jack, has only a one in ten chance of drawing the side card.

It is important to consider the value of the cards in Blackjack. In truth, sixteen cards have a value of 10 (the 10 itself, the Jack, the Queen, the King, all represented by four different suits). The remaining thirty-six cards have a value other than 10. The chance of drawing a 10 is therefore 30.77%. The player will only be marginally rewarded for choosing an “Advantage” (the ratio applied is 2:1). The casino has a pretty big advantage!

To simplify matters regarding the blackjack insurance bet, here is a concrete example

According to the statistics, the player has a 30.77% chance of winning on the insurance bet, which leaves a 69.23% chance that the bet will lose. Out of a hundred attempts, the player is likely to lose more than he wins in the long run. Let’s say that the amount to be invested on the blackjack insurance bet is $5.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *